If you view customers as human beings.
If you believe in rolling up your sleeves and getting to work.
If you look at solutions rather than the clock, then we’d like to get to know you better.
POSITION: GENERAL MANAGER
Division: PS Production Services Ltd.
Location: Toronto – 80 Commissioners Street
To apply for this position please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday August 28, 2015.
For more detail about the position please see the job description below. Available in large print if requested.
SIM Group of Companies is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes all applicants. We thank all candidates for their interest in our Company, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Individuals with a disability requiring accommodation during the application and/or the interview process should advise Human Resources so arrangements can be made.
By Telephone: 1-800-461-0037
The General Manager will maximize market share, profitability, utilization, customer satisfaction, accuracy and efficiency of deployment while minimizing costs. The role will also provide strategic direction and management to the Toronto Operations as well as manage the sales of rentals, the rental process, inventory and repair of movie production equipment (including Lighting, Grip, and Generators).
This role is a key member of the Senior Management Team providing input and implementation to the strategic and operational direction of PS Productions Services.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Efficiently manage the operations in Toronto including:
- Direct reports; indirect supervision of employees and providing guidance as required to all.
- All lighting, cable, grip, generator, fleet vehicle and speciality equipment assets.
- Maintaining sales and pricing at the highest levels throughout the year while balancing available inventory.
- The competitiveness of rental pricing, accuracy and comprehensiveness of documentation and the appropriate maintenance of Rental Works.
- The safety of all activities in accordance with legislated requirements.
- Operating efficiently and cost-effectively while continuously reviewing processes to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
- Maintaining manpower at effective levels according to customer demand and seasonality of the business
- The quality of product supplied ensuring it is managed in a way to enable the Company to become the ‘preferred rental house of choice’.
- The development and implementation of appropriate contractual terms for dealing with customers.
- Supervising the contracting process.
- Approval of the terms and conditions of major customer contracts.
- Assessing the capacity of the Company to meet customers’ expectations on acceptable terms and conditions.
- The involvement in, and the resolution of disputes as required.
- Hiring, performance management, pay administration, vacation scheduling/ coverage, time reporting, training, coaching, talent identification, etc. of Toronto Operations employees in a consistent and comprehensive manner.
- The fair, equitable and respectful treatment of employees.
- An appeal and resolution process to be utilized during times of employee complaints.
- Management Guideline implementation to ensure full communication to, and understanding by staff.
- The identification of issues, making recommendations (business cases, financials) and sponsoring same for Corporate Management consideration.
- Ensuring open flow of information and employee communications.
- The recommendation of strategic direction and budget to Senior Management and Corporate Management Groups
- The building of relationships within the departments of Toronto operations and between other Company operations
- Ensuring the existence of a regional Occupation Health & Safety Committee and their ability to effectively operate.
- Preferably College education with a minimum 15 years of working experience, 10 years of which is within various capacities of location set and rental house, and 5 years of which is in people management.
- Ability to provide strategy to enable all operations to have a competitive advantage.
- Ability to manage effectively at a distance.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to deal with extreme work volumes.
- Good understanding of work legislation, health and safety (WHMIS training).
- Excellent oral and written communication.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Manage in changing environments and at a distance
- Being comfortable in various work environments from the shop floor to the boardroom
- Meet customer needs while balancing demand and supply of inventory
- Ability to compete in an ever-increasingly competitive environment
- Prioritize requests and issues
- Troubleshoot a multitude of problems and issues, often having far-reaching solutions
- Manage a budget and prioritize during times of financial restraint
- service oriented
- problem solver
- forward thinker
- developer of people
- team builder
- relationship builder
- results oriented
- exemplary communicator
Working Conditions and Physical Effort:
- Primarily office conditions
- Some exposure to warehouse environment
- Long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers
- Travel required. At times, will be required to be out of town
- Attendance requirement at after-hours activities (e.g., events, client entertainment)
- Ability to attend and conduct presentations.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals
- Overtime as required